How to Get Well and Stay Well
What if I told you there is only ONE disease? There's actually only one cause of disease - cell damage. Today we have more toxins that ever in our air, food, water, soil, and bodies. We are exposed to 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Free Radicals every day! Yet we are less able to handle them than ever before.
Free radicals are atoms or molecules that are highly reactive with other cellular structures because they contain unpaired electrons. ... Free radicals can cause damage to parts of cells such as proteins, DNA, and cell membranes by stealing their electrons through a process called oxidation. Oxidative stress is the underlying cause of over 220 disease according to over 170,000 studies on Pubmed.gov (our National Institute of Health's scientific research library). When cells are damaged, it results in aging, as well as reduced function in our major organs, glands and tissues. Break down occurs.
Did you know that medical intervention causes over 100,000 deaths per year? We usually don't hear about that, but consider all the warnings and side effect of pharmaceutical drugs, which are only designed to stop a symptom, and have nothing to do with actual healing. There are two things that create disease or poor health: toxins and deficiencies.
But good health is actually a choice! Here are some important things you can incorporate into your life to improve your health dramatically and reduce your risk factors.
1. Get sugar, wheat, processed oils, and dairy out of your diet. They are like poisons to the body creating a constant stream of chronic inflammation, acidity, and damage to the cells. One tablespoon of sugar weakens the immune system for up to 5 hours, plus creates a highly acidic environment, perfect for fungus, cancers, parasites, mold and yeast to develop an overgrowth. Wheat is highly sprayed with glyphosates and toxins, as well as being genetically modified and hybridized over and over. Our body no longer recognizes it as a food. Processed vegetable oils are bad news, like canola, corn, and other vegetable oils. They produce an excess of omega 6 and 9 oils, which are highly inflammatory and can cancel out good omega 3 oils. Most dairy too, unless it is organic, lactose free and enzyme rich, such as certain cheeses, yogurt and kefir made from grass-fed cows.
2. Reduce nutrient deficiencies. Your body is designed to have numerous vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, amino acids, and more creating all the building blocks it needs to perform over 600 biological functions every day. Even ONE deficiency will eventually create cell damage and disease. Our food supply todays contains much less nutrients than it did 50 years ago. Plus when we are stressed, which is most of us most of the time, we burn up more nutrients trying to stay balanced. Did you know that the RDA (recommended daily allowance) is actually what is required to avoid deficiency diseases? There is another guideline called the ODA (optimal daily allowance) which is much higher to support optimal health. A daily intake of a good quality, organic food source vitamin/mineral supplement is essential today for optimal health. I prefer liquid vitamins as they get absorbed through the stomach wall quickly and efficiently.
3. Eliminate Toxins! The average person today is a toxic waste dump site with all the processed foods, hair and body care products, pharmaceuticals, plastics and chemicals in our households and daily lives. Support your bodies detox pathways so it can get rid of them easily and quickly. Cleanse on a regular basis, but more importantly, be sure you are eliminating waste sufficiently. We should be having a good bowel movement at least 2-3 times a day! Even going once a day is a mild form of chronic constipation. Every time we eat a meal we should eliminate one. Many people also have sluggish livers. Be sure to keep the liver and bile flow open and neutralizing toxins well, and utilizing your fat soluble vitamins like A, D, and E to keep your immune system strong.
4. Drink more fresh water! Most people are not drinking enough pure water to flush the kidneys and hydrate the body. We should be drinking half our body weight in ounces daily. Start your day with a full glass of water. If you drink coffee, be sure to drink a glass of water right after. Avoid carbonated beverages. You can include lemon or lime in your water, but anything else does not count. Even our lungs function much better when hydrated well. Our circulation, especially to the brain, requires it as well.
5. Mental Pathway, includes the Spiritual. Your thoughts and words have an enormous impact on your health. Good thoughts produce good health, and bad thoughts equal bad results. You have complete control over your thoughts, so choose to see the positive the bright side of things. If you hear yourself complaining a lot, be mindful and stop it immediately. Say a positive statement to cancel out he negative one right away. Follow what brings you JOY in your life. Listen to your inner instincts, your gut feelings and intuition. It will not steer you wrong. Your connection with Spirit, or your Higher Power is essential for a fulfilling life.
6. Emotional and Energetic Blocks. We all can have some emotional trauma's from our past in the form of abuse, injury, accidents, and other trauma's. These things can energetically block energy flow in parts of the body and impede healthy flow in the meridians. Consider doing some emotional release work, and energetic clearing to remove blocks and cellular memories. It can make a huge difference. Even if we are giving the body good nutrients, blocked energy limits what can get into our cells in certain areas.
7. The Physical Pathway. Life is movement! If you are not moving, you are dying. Exercise on a daily basis is essential. Even revving up your energy for just 30 seconds before a meal will help with blood sugar balance. Aerobic exercise increases our oxygen intake, which produces more energy and increases our mood. Strengthening the muscles is also very important. As we move we stretch the cells and massage the organs to facilitate the delivery of nutrients in, and toxins out! Our lungs also excrete a lot of waste when we breathe out.
8. Sleep is essential. Your body, and your mind, cannot repair and recover from daily stressors without sufficient sleep. It can only heal when we are asleep or deeply resting. Creating good sleep habits is important. Don't stay up too late. Don't use computer, phone or tablet screens for an hour or two before bed (turns OFF our natural melatonin production). Sleep in a quiet, cool environment. If you have trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep, you may need some help getting back into a healthy pattern. Certain herbs, minerals like magnesium, neurotransmitters, and amino acids may be what your body needs to rebalance this important daily process.
There are a few other things as well. like good digestion and a healthy gut microbiome which is essential. Also reducing your stress levels, spending time in nature daily, etc. can be quite supportive.
So now you know a number of things that you can incorporate into your daily life to support and improve your health. Some of these things will have a significant affect pretty quickly. If you avoid the foods mentioned above for two weeks you will see what I mean. Whatever area you are lacking in, make it a point to improve on a daily basis. Your body, mind, and Soul need care and maintenance to enjoy optimal health. Often we settle for just feeling 'OK', but not GREAT.
As a Naturopath and Iridologist, I can help you determine any hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, which minerals or neurotransmitters many be out of balance. Are all your body systems functioning well, like your nervous system, cardiovascular, digestive, respiratory, reproductive, eliminatory, etc. If not, you will have health conditions creep in. Take good care of yourself and live a VIBRANT life!
Jane Smolnik is a Naturopathic Doctor, Iridologist and Vitality Specialist with a practice in Asheville, NC. She works with folks from all over via phone or Online conference as well. You can visit her website at: UltimateHealing.com or call her at 828-777-5263 for more info.